<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, May 20, 2004

It's 2004. Time I posted my ten best songs of the 1990s. 

There's no point rushing it. Time gives you perspective. A lot changes in ten years.

In the 1990s, my first marriage had finished, my children grew up and left home (I had started very early with children, my first son arriving when I was just a teenager), I lost my father, I re-married, I moved house several times, I changed jobs almost as frequently, and my son and his girlfriend had a baby girl (he started as early as I did!).

For me, just one thing stayed constant through that turbulent decade.

My dog - who stayed constant, loyal, loving, undemanding and uncomplaining. Displaying all the supposedly best characteristics of humans with none of the failings.

So who's the superior species? Humans have the power of choice to live the highest traits but choose not to.

Dogs don't have any choice but still they remain loving, honest and true.

And they never lose hope, always craving your company.

So we got through the nineties, my dog and I, and he taught me a simple but valuable dog lesson: 'stuff happens, then you fall asleep'.

My dearest loyal companion died of old age in December 2000, the very day before Christmas.

Where was I? My best songs, no - my most significant songs - of the decade. Of course, everyone does lists like these and it's all so subjective, so take it with a grain of salt. I'll probably change my mind anyway. As you do.

Tomorrow, I'll post the first of these.



is it time for a nap yet? i think so

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?