<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Songs of the 1990s # 3. 

These Days.
Jesus and Mary Chain, from Stoned and Dethroned, 1994.

Where do I start with this? Stoned and Dethroned has never left my CD player for long after I first bought it in 1994 (except when my daughter purloined it along with several others in my collection - no matter, she burned me another copy!).

This is one I'm happy to share. The album is aglitter with glorious acoustic guitar chords and breaks along with haunting, spine-tingling melodies, dark-themed, beautiful, unforgettable. The songs nearly all have a kind of reverent single-syllable vocal delivery.

These days I feel immune
To all the sadness and the gloom
If things fall into place
Get onto the right side of grace


The sadness of the lyrics is belied by the sheer precociousness of the guitar notes - with not much else by way of backing. It's like sunshine radiating out of your speakers.

Moving close
Those things seem so far away


In all truthfulness, I had great difficult picking this track from the rest. The album may be better known for the single Sometimes Always, a haunting duet with Hope Sandoval from Mazzy Star; as well as for Gold Help Me sung - no, slurred - by the tragic Shane MacGowan of Irish band The Pogues. And, to be sure, no better song has been slurred, ever.

If you have not heard These Days and all of this brilliant album, I thoroughly recommend it.

I could take that walk
I'll just stay where I am


Yeah. Exactly.







is it time for a nap yet? i think so

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?