<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Saturday December 25 1971. 

My diary tells me nothing and my memory tells me two things about Christmas Day in Perth, Western Australia, 1971.

One: we went to midnight Mass at St Mary's Cathedral. I fell asleep before communion. Never was any good late at night. Even now.

Two: Mid-afternoon Christmas Day, I walked for a couple of hours up the coast; returning early evening. My uncle and aunt knew I was a schoolboy distance runner and were happy to see me disappear for hours on end, walking and running somewhere. My cousin was happy to watch the cricket on television.

I don't remember gifts, or Christmas dinner. Don't know why. I'm sure it was all wonderful. Maybe I was thinking about something else.

Maybe that long walk up the gaunt coast; sand-dunes, ti-tree, crashing surf, sun, heat.

Maybe a girl.

*

On the radio in the caravan:

a long long time ago
i can still remember how
that music used to make me smile





is it time for a nap yet? i think so

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?