<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, February 07, 2005

A musical interlude. 

The 1971-72 holiday diary will continue presently.

Meanwhile, this personal music survey comes to you thanks to Filegirl who I am sure has guessed my love of music would overcome my aversion to making lists!

So here it is. Thanks, Krissy!

My random ten.
The songs that float in and out of your life, returning to remind you of something ... someone ... somewhere.

Black Ticket Day by Ed Kuepper

Liturgy of St John Chrysostom:X 'We Praise Thee.' by Sergei Rachmaninoff

Crown of Creation by Ride

Conquistador Live at Edmonton by Procol Harum. A sound-mountain of duelling guitars and strings that takes me back to August 1972.

Falling in Love by Randy Newman from Land of Dreams. From 1988 when nearly everyone fell in love. And then out again. Ouch.

Cesar Franck's Panis Angelicus sung by Kiri Te Kanawa

Under the Milky Way by The Church

Kings of the World by Mississippi (who became Little River Band but this was their best song)

Wings of an Eagle by Russell Morris

Hung Up on a Dream by The Zombies from Odessey and Oracle 30th anniversary edition - the track was their answer to Scott Fitzgerald's San Francisco

For Mama by Matt Monro. If you hear this song and don't cry you are not human.

Music files on my computer.
None yet, but elsewhere I have a whole bunch of CDs and some old vinyl that I cannot throw out. ('Running Down the Road', Arlo Guthrie; original pressings of 'Tubular Bells' by Mike Oldfield and and 'Dark Side of the Moon' by Pink Floyd from 1973 and 1972 respectively; 'Mister Ragtime', Joe 'Fingers' Carr; 'Roman Spectacular' Volume Two, Charles Magnante, accordian , and his all-star band; 'For Little Ones', Donovon; Klaus Wunderlich Hammond Organ; etc. I also have a Grundig stereogram console from the 1950s with a diamond needle and ceramic pick-up and a valve four-band radio. Play Matt Monro on that baby and you're listening to the mellowest reproduced music on earth.

Last CD I bought.
Thirty Years of the Beach Boys - the Good Vibrations Boxed Set.

Last song I listened to.
Can't remember. It was in the car this morning, maybe that song which samples Stevie Wonder's Superstition.

Last music documentary I saw.
End of the Century - The Ramones. First Joey died, then smack-head Dee-Dee; Johnny died after the film was made. But Joey WAS The Ramones. Something about his voice.

Five songs I listen to a lot or mean a lot to me.
My Boyfriend's Back by The Spazzys, a new three-girl punk band who know exactly what three-chord rock'n'roll is all about. I listen to it a lot because it's on high rotation on the radio. And it's good.

Anything by Mozart, aria, concerto, symphony, whatever.

I Had Forgotten You by Paul Kelly because I used to play the album in my car and my eight year old daughter would sing along. And because the lyrics punch me in the guts every time. I just don't see it coming.

After All These Years by silverchair because it is freakishly good.

Self-titled All India Radio because my brother made it.

Three bloggers I'd like to see post their own personal music surveys: Monkey, Prestbury and Tif.




is it time for a nap yet? i think so

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?