<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Childhood misconceptions. 

When I was about five years old, I saw a shop with the title Coin Laundry. I asked my father if they washed money in there and he said yes.

My father always encouraged my misconceptions.

We lived near two racecourses. There were always large trucks ferrying magnificent racehorses in and out. (I was familiar with horses as both the baker and the milkman drove Clydesdales up our street.) The racehorse trucks bore the words Caution Horses. I asked my father what caution horses were. He told me they were a special breed of horses that were very careful about their manners.

Then there were the churches. They all had their signs: Anglican Church, Methodist Church, Presbyterian Church, Catholic Church, Baptist Church, etc. On the approach to a church on a particularly busy road there was a street sign which read Silence Church. I asked my father - he told me all the people who went to that church were never allowed to speak. Ever.







is it time for a nap yet? i think so

Comments:
Your father... sounds brilliant... i love that... esp the horses...
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?